The Amazing Blue Spring State Park in Orange City, FL

Hi all!

I know I am behind on posts, but most of my racing pictures are trapped on my phone. As soon as I can get them off of the phone, I will do the racing story. So I don't get too far behind, I am going to share some pictures and video from the trip to Blue Spring State Park yesterday.

More manatee info from Blue Spring State Park

Every winter, the manatees migrate to places with warmer water. Some of them have their young with them at this time. The park rangers and some manatee preservation folks combine their efforts to count all of the manatee that visit the park during this time. The manatee count yesterday was 458. Of course, by the time we got there many had left, but we still saw a whole lot of them.

The waters of the spring run down a channel to the St. John's River. The water in this channel is crystal clear. Live oaks, palms, and a wonderful amount of Spanish moss line the banks. Even before we saw any manatee, I was captivated.



Once we reached a viewing platform where we could see the manatee, I knew I was hooked. We will have to return to this park many times. Maybe it will become and annual pilgrimage. Some of the manatee came swimming right up to the viewing platforms. Others lazed in the sun on the opposite shore. The camera took great pictures. The manatee really show up well. Please enjoy these next pics and keep scrolling.















Here is a nice video clip of the manatee. They move so gently.


There are also quite a few cormorant in the park. I haven't gotten my book out yet to make an i.d. but I will edit this with the correct species when I do.
I took this picture of the manatee education sign. The warning sign that follows it made me think, "Yep, you can't fix stupid."


We also saw many schools of fish. Some of them were quite large. The ones building nests were very interesting to watch.





As we were walking along the boardwalk trail, eating our ice cream, I heard some rustling in the bushes. What a cute little guy it turned out to be.

We really enjoyed our time in the park. Since my eye exam was at 2pm, we were too lake for the eco boat ride. We hope to return later this week to do that. I also want to visit the house on the site. It is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.

Until next time, keep us in your prayers for safe travels and keep well yourselves.

Comments

Popular Posts