Christmas Bird Count at Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary

Dec 9th, 2017
I had a fantastic day at my first bird count. The gentlemen I was paired with were experts. They could identify birds as they flitted past us. I hope with a lot of practice I can learn to identify birds that quickly.


We rode out to our count area on one of the Swamp Buggies that the Sanctuary has. This was my view from up on top.













There were 9 of us on our team. We divided up into two groups. The Buggy driver would drop off one group, drive ahead for a distance and then drop off the other team. The first team walked to reach the Buggy, then the driver took them ahead of the second team and let them out. We covered our area in this leap frog manner.
Here is a picture of the Buggy waiting for us.
I really enjoyed my walk. (Well, except for that part where the snake was on the tree. That gave me a bit of heebby-jeebies. )


A view of the rest of our group in action along the road.
We even saw some gators. They told us to walk past the first one. I went first when the men hesitated, yep, I was all brave until it hissed at me. Then I was right back behind them.

All in all a great day!

Comments

Popular Posts